Kathmandu will see tomorrow 28 corpses from Gaur killing lined up in Tundikhel (Open Air Theater), courtesy the Communist Party of Nepal (Maoist). They were killed by the armed cadres of Madhesi Janadhikar Forum (MJF or MPRF) yesterday. We can understand the Maoist situation. They have lost their cadres and they were all brutally murdered. Maoists have the right to pay respect to their fallen comrades whom they have declared ‘martyrs’. But CPN Maoist must not do the politics of corpse. We don’t need lash ko rajniti.
Mother of 18-year-old Govinda Adhikari mourns the killing of her son. The corpse of Adhikari was brought to Hetauda hospital Wednesday night. Adhikari was killed in the Gaur clash. Pic by Pratap Bista
CPN UML, the second largest party in the ruling alliance, did the lash ko rajniti when Madan Bhandari, the then General Secretary of the party, was killed in a road accident. Continuous protest programs organized by the UML at that time only contributed in defaming the democratic system. No one gained, and the sufferer was democracy. It has become an undeniable fact that Maoists are using all sorts of measures to intimidate all branches of society. The best way Maoists can effectively counter any such attacks in future is by gaining confidence of the people. They must stop bullying.
Maoist cadres are announcing on loud speakers in the city that third phase of Janaandolan will be started from tomorrow. What do they mean? They have the right to organize peaceful protests but this is not the right time for them to exert unnecessary pressure on the government. Maoists have demanded that the MPRF be outlawed. It’s true that Maoists are the ones who can help government control the menace called MPRF but that should happen without declaring the outfit outlawed. We don’t want another fighting in whatever pretext.
The statement issued by Chairman Prachanda of Maoist Party has words like exercising restrain but in today’s public meeting organized in Kathmandu’s Durbar Square, the Maoist cadres continuously talked about taking revenge. One of the slogans that cadres chanted after the meeting was over was this: Hatya ko badala linchhau, linchhau (We will take the revenge of murder). We know not all cadres are under Prachanda’s control but the party Headquarter must try to show that it’s doing the best to put the cadres under its tight leadership.
Developments of the day:
Rautahat Still Gripped By Terror
KATHMANDU- With Rautahat district still gripped by terror following Wednesday’s killings, Communist Party of Nepal (Maoist) on Thursday urged the government to ban the Madhesi People’s Rights Forum (MPRF) blaming the outfit for the bloody shootout that claimed the lives of 29 Maoists. The barbaric killings of the Maoist activists at Rice Mills area in Gaur, the district headquarters of Rautahat, have drawn criticism from national and international human rights bodies and political parties. District headquarters Gaur is completely shut down while fear is still rife among the locals.
MPRF had been publicizing its mass meet at the said venue for the last two weeks while the Maoists had also been campaigning to organize their mass meet at the same ground for the last couple of days. Both sides prepared their stages at a distance of about 100 meters from each other on the ground. The clash took a nasty turn after MPRF cadres wrecked a stage constructed by the Maoists for the program while the latter’s rally was arriving at the venue. Shortly after the incident, both sides reportedly exchanged fire.
Ban criminal outfit MPRF: CPN-M
Nepalgunj: Maoist Chairman Prachanda has urged the government to ban the agitating MPRF and initiate action against its leadership. Talking to reporters in Nepalgunj today, Prachanda labelled MPRF a “criminal outfit” and warned of launching a fresh “struggle” unless it was banned. Prachanda further said that he had already discussed issuing a prohibition order against the forum with the government. “I have already talked with the prime minister about this…the government has given its assurance that it (MPRF) will be banned and action will be initiated against the leaders,” Prachanda said. The Maoist chairman further said that failure to launch action against the forum would cast a “grave suspicion” over the government itself. He claimed that armed persons “from beyond the (Nepal-India) border” had been involved in the shootout at Rautahat yesterday.
Separately, in a statement issued this evening Prachanda said that “some royalist regressive forces and Indian Hindu fundamentalists are behind the killings.” “This incident (killings) has indicated that the end of monarchy and establishment of a democratic republic is the need of the hour,” said the former rebel chief.
Meanwhile in Kathmandu, addressing a gathering of supporters in Durbar Square, Maoist leader Dev Gurung said that the government should “ban the Madhesi Forum and take action against its leaders.” He also demanded a “restructuring of the border security so as to contain the increasing infiltration and criminal activities.”
Government Promises Action
Home Minister Krishna Prasad Sitaula, who visited the clash site today said that the government is committed to take action against those responsible for the Gaur killings. Talking to reporters in Gaur, Minister Sitaula said, “It’s a barbaric act,” adding, “Even condemnation is not enough.” UML General Secretary Madhav Kumar Nepal said that the “guilty should be punished. They should not be spared.”