While the country is readying itself for the first round of peace talks with the Maoists, the rebels are continuing the activities, some say, they are best known for: extortion, intimidation and abductions. They are collecting money from not only big businesses of the country but also from general people and small businesses around Nepal. And these kinds of activities are happening daily in many districts. Here we present a press released issued today by the Directorate of Public Relations of Nepal Army that details the rebel activities that are clearly against the spirit of cease fire. Below is the translated version of the release:
Maoists Blast off bomb:1. Maoists blasted off a bomb in the house of Jogendra Sahani today (May 22) in Basantapatti VDC of Rautahat district. Sahani is the former VCD Chairman and activist of Nepali Congress. His wife got injured in the blast. Maoists abducted two sons of Sahani and took them to unknown location.
Maoists abduct general people:
2. Maoists abducted five youths from Campus Road area of Dhangadi municipality (Kailali district) in May 21 and took to unknown location.
3. Maoists abducted Manoj Yadav, a resident of Dharmapur area (Saptari district) and took him to unknown place.
Maoists beat businessmen:
4. Maoists mercilessly beat a local businessman of Bhairavnath VDC, Bajhang district in May 20.
Maoists Extort Money:
5. Maoists have extorted money from local businessmen in different places of Bhajang district in May 20.
6. On the same day, Maoists extorted money from local merchants of Phattepur bazaar (Saptari district) and each shop of Chautara (Sindhupalchowk district) and its surrounding areas.
7. On the same day, Maoists forcefully demanded money from teachers, students, civil servents, intellectuals and local residents of Kolti Bazaar area of Bajura district.
8. Maoists widely extorted money from Bazaar area of Silgadhi (Doti district) in May 19.
1. Maoists Abduct, Maoists Extort and Maoists Loot: RNA (May 11)