UWB Photo Blog
Twenty one people died during the historical people’s movement of last month where as thousands were injured in the atrocities committed by the army and police directly working under the orders of the royal regime. Some of the injured have returned to their normal routines where as others are still in the hospitals undergoing treatment. UWB presents images of some of the pro-democracy Nepali people who were injured in the Andolan and are now recovering in hospitals including Kathmandu Model Hospital and TU Teaching Hospital.
Recovering and smiling: Kumar Thapamagar, his wife and child at his side, recovers at Kathmandu Model Hospital on Thursday. He was shot in the stomach during the people’s movement. Pic by Todd Karainin and Ekindra Kunwar
Victim’s verbatim: Kumar Thapamagar, 26 year old UML activist from Palpa, Malang VDC Ward No:7, had almost given up the hope. “I contemplated my death as my intestines were visible outside stomach,” he says, relishing in the post-surgery raptures. He is undergoing treatment at Model Hospital, Bagbazar, Kathmandu. But, he was shot by a sudden gunshot in Butwal in April 9 when thousands of protesters were chanting pro-democracy slogans.
Initially, he was admitted to Lumbini Hospital in Butwal but his surgey was not successful. Then, he was referred to Kathmandu and Dr. Arjun Burlakoti successfully operated him. According Dr. Burlakoti, Kumar is doing fine. Victim Kumar warns the leaders from his bed: “Now peace should prevail and leaders must act as per people’s mandate.”– By Ekindra
Rastriya Prajantra Party’s Pashupati Rana visits a victim in the hospital.
Ram Bahadur BK, 17, Satdobato.
Rajendra Prasad Mahato,25, Saptahari
Bishnu Lal Maharjan
Meanwhile here is the sad news (source eKantipur):
Compensation to martyrs’ families in limbo
KATHMANDU, May 12 – A week has elapsed since a cabinet decision to provide families of martyrs with Rs 1 million as financial assistance, but no concrete step has been taken in this regard so far, with at least two ministries claiming ignorance of the matter.
The government formally decided on May 3 to provide Rs 1 million each to the martyrs’ families.
According to a cabinet source, the government on Tuesday decided to entrust the Ministry of Women, Children and Social Welfare with the task of making preparations to provide the assistance. But when the Post reached the ministry today, the officials said they have not received any instructions from the Cabinet as yet.
Instead, officials at the ministry pointed out that the job falls under the jurisdiction of the Home Ministry. But even officials at the Home Ministry denied having any knowledge of the assistance.