United We Blog! on ‘Dangerous Assignment’

‘When Nepal’s King Switched off the news, reporters switched tactics’

After being covered in so many media outlets around the world in a time span of two months we thought our ‘15 minutes of fame’ completed. We were wrong. [We have been covered by Online Journalism Review, Mid-Day (Mumbai), Hindustan Times (New Delhi). Well, I forgot all those names. Oh..ya, how can I forget that Reuters story that was carried out by many other papers and blogs around the world.] I never thought that UWB would get this kind of media attention when this blog site was started a few months ago to express myself and to tell others about my failed dating attempts with girls. Thanks to King Gyanendra, Nepalis lost their precious freedom on Feb 1 and we became famous. The latest publication to mention UWB and myself is Dangerous Assignment, a magazine by the Committee to Protect Journalists (CPJ).

I recently read a BBC story about “How the new Pope sparked a bidding war“. [Reading this story was part of my job, have to find something interesting to translate for Kala Ra Shailee.] The story quotes a guy who registered popebenedictxvi(at)hotmail.it (I don’t want Pope to be spammed) and now dubbed as cyber Pope commented on the attention he got in world media for registering that papal e-adders as saying [I am more interested] “in the buzz of media attention. Yes, I too am enjoying the buzz! I love journalism because they pay me for doing what I like to do. That’s it. What can I do if they are interested on writing about UWB when we are just blogging, basically to express ourselves and to provide information that mainstream media ignores.

Under the title “Out of the Silence“, [The story will appear, as I am told, in the Spring/Summer issue of the magazine.] Kristin Jones, research associate for CPJ’s Aisa program, writes, ” When Nepal’s King Gyanendra Switched off the news, reporters switched tactics.” I like that line, Kristin!

Our 15 mintutes of Fame:

April

Wagle CPB Article In Spanish
United We Vote! For The Best Blog
We ‘Are Free to Do’ Blogging!

March
UWB! Founders at Martin Chautari Blog Discussion
More Encouragement
Asia Media Publishes Article by Wagle
Nepali Bloging Article on ‘Committee to Protect Bloggers’
UWB! in Reuters News
Blog Article in Nepal Magazine
United We Blog! in Hindustan Times
We Are In Google News!
Interview Of Our Blogger In ‘Media Action’
Blogger Wagle on the Cover of ‘Media Action’
UWB Featured in AsiaMedia

February
UWB in Mid-Day, Mumbai
Blogging: A Himalayan Experience
UWB & Dinesh in Online Journalism Review
No Politics, Blog on Op-Ed
Look Ma, Who is Reading Us!

12 Comments »

What you guys are doing is great. Its great to be able to read unsensored news from Nepal.

Indeed the internet has creating forums that were never there before. This is the begginning to bring change. I wonder though, how long it will take the royalists to find out about this blog?

Well, with their hopeless technological skills (lets face it all of them are from the 18th century) dont think it will be sometime soon……well i applaud ur work and good luck

Comment by suvecha — 5/7/2005 @ 2:12 pm

United We Blog! reminds me of stories in WW-II when prisoners were able to scribble a message on a piece of paper and get it trough Nazi lines.

It should be clear that with the US promising to “restore non lethal military aid and training” that the US has chosen oppression over democracy… What kind of “non-lethal aid” will they provide ??? Bicuits and tea ??? Maybe the training will be cooking-school ??

The road to multiparty democracy has a long way until there is victory…. KEEP UP YOUR WORK DINESH, YOU ARE DOING A GREAT JOB !!!!

Comment by D.MICHAEL VANDEVEER — 5/7/2005 @ 4:15 pm

Look Ma, You are doing it!

Comment by Bodhi — 5/7/2005 @ 4:23 pm

Dinesh you are doing a good job except you are highly biased and prejudiced. There is much optimism in the country. Peace is prevailing. Security situation has drastically improved. No Nepal-Bandhs. Although sporadic incidents have been taking place, there is now a clear division under the Maoists too. You are not interested in these positive things but only in publicizing negative aspects, true or untrue. This you must correct in the coming days. Otherwise you guys are doing fine.

Comment by Shuvatara — 5/7/2005 @ 7:51 pm

I agree with Shuvatara.

Comment by Santosh — 5/7/2005 @ 11:01 pm

Great job, Dinesh.

Keep up your job until we have democracy. You are not spreading anything Shuvatara seems to indicate. Royalists are here. They are free to defend “untrue” reports. Yes, truth hurts. Royalists will cry as they have just regained their privileges lost in 1990. Ugly faces of dictators should be shown full. No mercy, please. Good luck.

Comment by harvey — 5/8/2005 @ 1:57 am

This blog is a great place to visit indeed! I am getting addicted to this site. I like the way Wagle presents news, especially the background information behind the news items.

Comment by Mangal — 5/8/2005 @ 5:26 am

Everybody is just talking about democracy in Nepal…Has anybody ever though about the ordinary nepali people’s situation during Girija and Madhav Raaj in Nepal? Where was industrial infrastructure? Where was other infrastructure? Where was security? Was there any chintan manan for such a poor country? That never happened. They were involved in loot paat of national properties..We just lost 15 years for the sake of so called “DEMOCRACY” which was never there. Lets analyze those 15 years and decide what we really need for the country. Bideshi bhumima basera nepal ko barema ufrine prabriti chodau sathi haru ho…

Comment by kash — 5/8/2005 @ 6:28 am

Kash, your crass crap has no value. why look 15 years? why not to look before 15 years. why not to look the history of nepal? why? tell me why??????

Comment by pita — 5/8/2005 @ 6:40 am

I think it is important to note here that we are sitting in front of computers, and we are the priveledge ones to be able to use this technology. What right do we have to say that there is peace in Nepal? Outside Kathmandu, as far as I know, there are people who still live in fear. The situation is indeed getting worse. For those who can barely scrap a living forums like this provide a voice. I think we need to come out of our rose-coloured worlds and face the music. The royals are taking crores of money and they have been doing for centuries. The politicians did the same for a decade. How can you say that there is no need for criticism? Indeed we need to fight for a solution that will work for these forgotten people. This is not what the King is providing right now.

Comment by suvecha — 5/8/2005 @ 7:26 am

Constructive criticism is absolutely necessary in every aspect of life- education, lifestyle, relationships etc. Why should politics be different? If political leaders, including KG cannot accept this type of criticism and curb press and individual freedom, then these people should not be leading the country- give the job to those who are willing to make changes based on voice of the people.

Comment by sameer — 5/8/2005 @ 11:33 am

Nepali press blackmails hookers thhreating them to publish their nude picture(remember Shisha Karki) We all know their level. So what do you expect from them.

Comment by Raj — 5/9/2005 @ 1:06 pm

Published by UWB

Pioneering blog from Nepal...since 2004.

2 thoughts on “United We Blog! on ‘Dangerous Assignment’

1. This blog has played a greater role to bring maoist in this status and turning nepal into People’s republic of Nepal. Good…keep going..

Comments are closed.