Kathmandu Drama: Gagan Thapa Released, Arrested

Nepal Democracy Movement: Student Leader Arrested Again

Gagan Thapa addressing a corner meeting in Baneshowr a few dats before he was arrested on April 26. Pic by CSK

The ruling of the Supreme Court in Nepal became the subject of public mockery today when Nepali authorities staged the artless drama of releasing Gagan Thapa, a prominent student leader, only to re-arrest him within seconds in the same police compound. Gagan has been shifted to Kharipati, Bhaktpur from Kathmandu District Police Office in Hanuman Dhoka this evening. The Supreme Court, earlier today, had ordered the authorities to release Gagan and other two student activists (Subodh Acharya and Sandesh Adhikari) because they were illegally detained by the police since April 26. Today’s government move is the naked violation of the spirit of the Supreme Court ruling and this act of the royal administration clearly proves that there is no independent judiciary in this country. I got an opportunity to meet and talk to Gagan inside the police office approximately 2 hours before the drama took place. Meanwhile, another top student leader Keshav Sing is seriously ill in detention.

(Read about another Drama in United We Blog in Nepali: Live account of today’s RCCC ‘courtroom’ drama on former Prime Minister Sher Bahadur Deuba case is available in our Nepali edition. Deuba said, “I don’t speak to you. When I say I don’t speak to you, I mean to say I don’t speak to you.”)

Keshav Singh, President of Nepal Student Union (NSU) can’t breath properly because there is low oxygen in the room where he is kept in Hanuman Dhoka. “Yesterday evening he was very much serious and couldn’t breath properly,” Gagan said, “We told police to take him to hospital but they haven’t listened yet.” Gagan said that they have been kept in the lower part of the building where there is no sufficient flow of air. “This is a kind of mental torture,” he said, “We have been kept with burglars and other criminals.”

Gagan told United We Blog! he will start a hunger strike in detention from tomorrow. “I will continue my struggle against this regime from inside jail,” he said firmly, “I urge all freedom and democracy loving Nepali people to rise for democracy in an effective way.”

He, one of the most charismatic student leaders of recent times, said that political parties should immediately find a common ground for a unified movement. “Its too late,” he said, “Already three months gone and we haven’t have a common agenda yet. Why? We shouldn’t waste time. How can we take our movement forward if we take this much time even to find a common agenda?”

I questioned him whether he was sure about people’s participation in the movement for democracy. “Yes, I completely believe people’s aspiration for democracy. They are for democracy. But parties should make their agenda very clear and easily understandable for public. Parties should be able to communicate with people via their common agenda.”

Gagan who commands a strong support among young students in Nepal had been in the eyes of authorities ever since Feb 1 royal takeover because of his strong views for the need of democracy and capability to mobilize students in the movement. In today’s interview, Gagan opined that democratic movement and reform (restructuring) within parties should go simultaneously. “Yes, there is a need of reform in [Nepali Congress] party,” he said in the offices of Deputy Superintendent of Police, Kathmandu, “But we can’t get stumbled into that and forget democratic movement. That is even more important.”

He said: Me being released, [CPN UML General Secretary] Madav Nepal being released, or Emergency being lifted are not important issues at all. The most important issue is Democracy and taking democratic movement ahead effectively. We have to do that immediately. We should not limit ourselves reacting every petty moves of this government. We should fully concentrate toward the movement.”

Gagan said that he has been reading a novel and some children literature. He reads Kantipur daily.

Today the court ordered for his release at around 2 PM. Human rights activists and cadres of Nepal Student Union (of which Gagan is former general secretary) took that order to District Administration Office, Kathmandu. DAO wrote a letter to District Police Office Kathmandu ordering them to release Gagan and others. When HR activists reached Hanuman Dhoka with the orders from the court and DAP, police made them wait for 3 hours to see Gagan. I entered the room with fellow blogger Kiran Chapagain. Others waiting to see Gagan were two representatives of UN and two Danish nationals. After we waited there for about 15 minutes, slightly bearded Gagan popped up in a trouser and sandals.

Gagan was arrested in a midnight raid on April 26 along with Subodh Acharya and Sandesh Adhikari from Lainchour where he was staying in the house of Sandesh. “I think we should have changed the shelter,” he said, “We didn’t. That was our mistake. We are new in this kind of lifestyle. That day too, they found us when they were about to return from the search without finding us. We opened the lock of the room on the fifth floor of the house a bit earlier and one of the police heard the sound.”

Related Blog:
1. Gagan Thapa Arrested

19 Comments »

It is clear to this Journalist that Nepal is rushing to FASCISM. The arrest and re-arrest of Gagan Thapa, the abuse of journalist and the Getapo actions of te Security Forces should make this clear.

In an article I wrote, “WORLD PRESS FREEDOM DAY–ONLY A DREAM IN NEPAL”, I detailed the international human-rights and UN response to the activities of the Nepali Government.

Just as in Italy, Spain, Germany and other places in Europe FASCISM was sold to the people as “NATIONALISM” and a way to fight terrorism, corruption, and communism…………

To paraphrase a poem about Germany that should be a call to all who value freedom in Nepal..

FIRST THAY CAME FOR A COMMUNIST, AND I HEARD HIM CRY OUT,
BUT AS I WAS NOT A COMMUNIST, I DID NOT ANSWER HIS CALL.
THEN THEY CAME FOR A HOMOSEXUAL, AND I HEARD HIM CRY OUT,
BUT AS I WAS NOT A HOMOSEXUAL, I DID NOT ANSWER HIS CALL.
THEN THEY CAME FOR A TRADE UNIONIST,AND I HEARD HIM CRY OUT,
BUT AS I WAS NOT A TRADE UNIONIST, I DID NOT ANSWER HIS CALL.
THEN THEY CAME FOR A JOURNALIST, AND I HEARD HIM CRY OUT,
BUT AS I WAS NOT A JOURNALIST, I DID NOT ANSWER HIS CALL..
THEN THAY CAME FOR ME, AND I DID NOT CRY OUT AS THERE WAS NO ONE LEFT TO HEAR MY CALL

Comment by D.MICHAEL VANDEVEER — 5/6/2005 @ 8:31 am

the problem with US: invasion of collective nepali mind set with the likes of Kash. only idiots will make that kind of infantile baseless comments. This is not your living room where you can say the stupidiest thing and still they are taken as per delivered. Don’t you think you are missing something in your comment like: “Why would I say something like that”
I don’t know what kind of a man is Gagan what is he up to …and we are all interested in that. that’s what we want to know not an one liner insult that makes you look like an absolute idiot.

Comment by Quantum — 5/6/2005 @ 10:07 am

Quantum,

I am slower than the velocity of light, which I unfortunatley never could forget, alas, in that old unit – km/s (or new?). Never mind, Neil Bohr was weak in mathematics (he ran away from the King!!); so was stupid Einestein!! I was forunate enough I had heard about Quantum electrodynaics!!

But, I try it hard even in this old age. As a man who thought Newton was the greatest of the greatests, I wondered how on earth you knew somebody had an invasion of “collective” Nepali mind even before you were eager to know about Gagan.

Wait! I wanted a tuistion center in Putalisadak. I am just curious about quantuma fijiks. Do you have tuition center?

Comment by pita — 5/6/2005 @ 10:55 am

Talk in a way nobody understands. That’s why quantum, pita, paras and ganenda are greet in Nepal. I don’t need your quanum physics, tuition center or prash king.

Comment by harvey — 5/6/2005 @ 11:38 am

its damning when people start picking on someone’s names. madness. just shows how coward we are. i am sure we have better things to comment on.

Comment by yodam — 5/6/2005 @ 11:46 am

Pita, why on earth you are at war with me. U do look like a man with senile whinging syndrome who thinks Einstein was stupid. Your senile highness, your stupid digression is incoherent, boring and it’s a noise. What’s with the tuition centre obsession, OLD MAN>>>> looks like you were “malhandled” in one of those putali sadak tuition centre and showing typical Freudian pattern repeat syndrome. get bent, there most be other people around you.

One of the things you commented was, massively innocent, though interesting how come if I know what nepali collective mind set is, why don’t I know Gagan. I don’t know if you meant that with your bullshit jibberish. if you can’t differentiate between collective and individual…..Pita u are going to need some serious Tutoring.

Comment by Quantum — 5/6/2005 @ 12:20 pm

ha…ha…ha…, what is someone’s name yodam (i am sorry i picke up ur name? ha ha….i guess people can mangate things on earth better than the cleverers!! self-congratulations may not be too bad an idea.

Comment by harvey — 5/6/2005 @ 12:28 pm

well quantum ,
happy to see u here tooo. but didn’t get u any . ist let me convey my happinees that qed exists . i will look into it n wonder wat is it all after… i wonder if maxwell’s equations of electrodynamis have gone redundant . they were wrong in meissner effect in superconductivity .. but quantum qed: i really worrry wat is it all abt. i acquiesce i may be a toad in a small well . but let’s see
now let’s delve into this vulgur clamour shrouding gagan thapa .thapa is genesis of corruption in tri chandra . i myself being a tc student know it well.if u don’t belive me , go n ask the stupifeid leaves of those skeletal blue mimosa trees in front of the ghantaghar. or just pick up any student by his/her arm n ask wat is gagan about . i don’t know wat is wagle trying to establsish by garbing gagan with that unrequired charismatic adjective . ist of all , let’s put things right : the state is decayed .. the parties are rotten .. the maoists stink of ego n wrong philosophy .. . so where wud we go ? hell . isn’t it . can this gagan rescue us ? the admission fiasco of ma sociology has its history down to gagan’s roots. can a young guy hu looks good , talks good but has grown himself out of the illgotten money of poor students from all over the

country rescue us ? can he stop us from a looming doom . u see we need to acknowledge that darkness is just beginnning . the night has fallen n false glint of hope is wat wagle is selling or supplying . gagan is misnomer to charisma n leadership . talking loud n befreiending journalists doesn’t weave the path to heaven . if we do not discontinue with this wagle’s disease of hope , infernal putrefaction can’t be averted … i am sorry for all these hard facts

Comment by sisyphus sahrma — 5/6/2005 @ 1:29 pm

well quantum ,

Comment by sisyphus sharma — 5/6/2005 @ 1:29 pm

माफी माग्नुहोस्, गिरिजाबाबु

गिरिजाबाबु, प्रजातन्त्र र कांग्रेस बचाउन, कार्यककर्ताको मनोबल र उत्साह बढाउन आन्दोलन सफल पारी संसद् पुनःस्थापना गराउन सर्वप्रथम दुई कांग्रेस एक हुनुपर्छ । शान्तिपूर्ण आन्दोलन सफल पार्न बहुदलवादी दलका प्रमुख नेता आपसी मेलमिलाप र समझदारीबाट प्रजातन्त्र, मानवअधिकार, प्रेस स्वतन्त्रता बहाली गर्न शान्तिपूर्ण आन्दोलनको मुख्य उद्देश्य (लक्ष्य) को स्पष्ट धारणा जनतासामु राखिनुपर्छ ।

पत्रको बाँकी अंश ‘युनाइटेड वी ब्लग नेपालीमा‘ मा पढ्नुहोस् ।

रामकृष्ण पराजुली
चिप्लेढुंगा, पोखरा

Comment by रामकृष्ण पराजुली — 5/6/2005 @ 4:28 pm

Lets make quantum leap if not quantum physic
what the hell is going on here. By the way, Gagan is different and thinks differently. But, people will not come on the street untill and unless Currupted leaders are weeded out form the political parties. Gagan, come in the front and drive the political revolution towards the right direction. No dictator can put you behind the bar for long

Comment by Sw. Bodhi — 5/6/2005 @ 4:34 pm

I went to my old tri chandra today and put some questions to the “skeletal blue mimosa trees.” They told me a bit Koran and the rest about the history of kings…also a bit about kalo padartha and famouse grouse whisky and what not….or I did not ask proper questions in a proper language?

I also asked the trees about the “collective” mind. The response was blunt again -I need some lessons from quantum fijiks to understand and measure it. I ran away.

But hell. I was in Putali Sadak, where I was battered a few years ago. A number of language schools greeted me this time, but only to be disappointed….a senile mind told me jibberish or good English or RICH writing don’t make your argument sound!! I am disappointed; mabybe blogsphere is good for me. But at times I can’t stand the radiations from Q-rays.

Comment by pita — 5/6/2005 @ 8:16 pm

It is good to see Jay Prakash Gupta in Jail as politician like deserve such punishment BUT I strongly object rearrest of yong student leader Gagan Thapa. Person like Gagan Thapa are kept in police or army custody because they threaten the King and his government because these students are real fighters of democracy and who will lead our country based on the lessons learned from old rubbish, currupt, self serving, kurchi wala politicians like Girija koirala. Lets do whatever we can to restore democracy and get Gagan and his friends released
long live democracy
Atisha

Comment by Atisha Sherpa — 5/6/2005 @ 8:38 pm

If we were to take a litmus test of Gagan, what color would he turn into? I mean, if all colors in Nepal mean corruption, can this guy be any different? After all, he knows how to play ‘poli’ tricks!

Comment by Blogbahini — 5/7/2005 @ 9:57 am

Sw. Bodhi,

Are you an osho sannyasin? If yes, can you post your email add, mine is rresearch@gmail.com. I am intereted in Osho.

Sorry for disturbing the flow of discussion.

Comment by student — 5/8/2005 @ 2:42 am

it is not right to arrest him from the court, the government is trying to arrest the the brain, sentiment and freedom of all the political parties but it would be certainly brust, that may bring a flood which may sweep out the present rulers forever………..

Comment by suresh iwahang — 5/10/2005 @ 2:58 pm

Hello! Gagan!
you are in our heart, you would be always in frontline to lead the country we strongly support you. And do not be out of right track as and at any case that will be the curse to all of nationalist youngsters. Nepal Ama is on the way to give birth to few peoples like you. Mr Gagan you people must always do s.t. to lead the party the old blood should be swept out. We have no respect for the leader like Girija Koirala, Madhav Nepal, Deuba. who are solely responsible for bringing about present crisis. Let us Do or die for the people of nepal. King is not the contracter to develop the nation ! Come on Do some thing for the people for the nation!
dipnischal@yahoo.com

Comment by Mr Sunrise — 5/10/2005 @ 3:32 pm

i do not suppose that court can do any thing just because we already know that cj violating his own duty .it is only country with autocracy so we must fight from freedom and democracy whith repulbic.
thanks for fight for all students as weel as all people.

Comment by anup — 5/11/2005 @ 11:38 am

ROyal supreme court of nepal and royal c.j. would have no ethics, so he would do any thing ………….!

Comment by jaya — 5/11/2005 @ 1:13 pm

Published by UWB

Pioneering blog from Nepal...since 2004.

%d bloggers like this: