House of Representative will pass a ground breaking proposal that will make people feel for the first time about true democracy. But we will have a long way to go even after that proposal is passed.
When we talk about bringing complete democracy in Nepal, we are talking about drastically curtailing the rights and power of the king. A poweful king is the biggest threat to democracy an d source of instability in this country. We all know, by experience that an active and powerful king is the biggest threat and obstacle to the smooth functioning of democracy. So the king’s autocratic ambitions and wishes to play the power game should be contained. How to do that? The answer that tops the list is:
1. Bring army under the control of parliament.
2. Destroy the link between the king and the army. No army uniform to the king. Scrap the Army Secretariat situated inside the royal palace.
3. Decrease the budget to the royal palace. Make the palace expenditure transparent and accountable to the parliament.
Now the Seven Party Alliance (SPA) has started working on this by first making the House of Representative (HoR) supreme and powerful. According to a report by Gopal Khanal in Kantipur daily, the alliance has drafted a proposal ‘Declaration of the House of Representative- 2063‘ which has been discussed by the top leaders already. The proposal will be tabled in the HoR on Monday and the house will pass the proposal on the same day.
Here are key points that are included in the 10-point proposal:
1. His Majesty the King will not be part of the Parliament. [Now HoR, Upper House and the King are considered as the Parliament.]
2. Royal Nepal Army will be renamed Nepal Army
3. His Majesty’s income and personal properly will be brought under the tax scanner like general citizen of Nepal.
4. Rights to formulate, amend and scrap the law for Royal Succession will be with the parliament.
5. His Majesty’s expenditure and benefits will be set by the parliament.
6. His Majesty’s unlawful actions can be questions at the court.
7. His Majesty’s Government will be renamed as the Government of Nepal.
8. The provision of King as the Supreme Commander of the Army will be scrapped.
9. The Chief of the Army Staff will be the one recommended by the Prime Minister and approved by the State Management Committee of the HoR.
10. There will be no separate service of employees for the Royal Palace. Civil servants based on the Prime Minister’s proposal and approved by the HoR State Management Committee will go to the palace and work.
11. The proposal talks about empowering the role of Prime Minister and the Speaker of the HoR. There is a new provision for the commencement of the parliament session and ending it. Prime Minister will call for the opening of the new session where as the Speaker will end it. Also two thirds of the members of HoR can call for the new session.
12. The election of the Constituent Assembly will be organized on the date set by the HoR.
The proposal also states that all the provisions in the constitution of 1990 and other laws will be discarded if they found to be conflicted with it.
13. All officials holding public posts should take oath designed by the HoR and if anyone refusing to take so will be fired immediately.
14. An all party government including parties in and outside HoR could be formed if the nation needs to form and such a government should get the vote of confidence from two third majority of the HoR.
15. HoR will hold the right to make all necessary laws that are needed for the election of Constituent Assembly.